Disney's Frozen Inspired Bedroom



Instead of the usual over-the-top birthday party this year, the twins opted for a Frozen themed bedroom with decorations they can enjoy for more than just one day. This was no easy feat, but after a few weeks and a lot of work, I think it came together very nicely. They love it!




Here's "Elsa's" Frozen side:

  
 
 She keeps her Elsa necklace on her clock so that she can put it on first thing in the morning. She wears it everyday.
Here's how I created Elsa's Frozen side of the room:

Elsa's headboard and footboard were made from crackled plastic panels, usual used for fluorescent lighting ceiling panels. For the headboard, I cut out a mountain shape from the plastic. Then I hammered a bunch of nails for the outline and left them sticking out about an inch and half from the wall. I glued little magnets to the back of the plastic to stick to the nails and then it held itself against the wall.
The footboard was attached with magnets as well, since nailing it would have cracked the plastic. I dind't want to glue it and ruin the furniture. After that was installed, I sprayed some swirly spirals with the window-spray-snow-in-a-can stuff. I also hung two clear\iridescent plastic snowflakes and one white snowflake underneath the shelf above the bed. The canopy is a cheapo white mosquito bed net . I added blue and silver ribbon glitter mesh.

The picture frames on the wall were plastic shadow box frames from the craft store. I painted mod-podge on them and sprinkled on Epsom salt to give them an icy-frosted look. Here's a tip: DON'T (accidentally) BUY THE SCENTED EPSOM SALT! (Unless you want it to smell like an Abercrombie & Fitch store - you know, that smelly store you walk past in the mall that gives you a migraine from the stench. Holy cow, that was a lesson learned.) Get regular, unscented.

The mural was just a fun, free-hand painting. I just love painting big swirls and "going with it", wherever the brush leads me. After I was happy with the swirls and colors, I added glittery snowflake wall decals.
The snowflakes hanging from the ceiling are just a cheap, simple decoration from the party store, taped to the ceiling. Super simple.



Now, here's "Anna's Royal side:

 
 

Here's how I did it:

I attached several, taped together, large poster prints to the window shade making the image of "Arrendale", as seen from the castle window. On the lower shelf of the is a tissue holder - half frozen and half "be-jeweled". The girls helped decorate it with jewels, sprinkling glitter and adding more Epsom salt.

 
To create "Anna's" bed I started with this image from the internet -  That, I don't own and don't claim to, but you can Google it, too.




 I started by drawing a rough outline on a giant roll of brown paper (the stuff used for keeping the floors clean in new homes. It comes in giant rolls at Home Depot. It's great for tons of uses.) Then, when I was happy with that, I cut it out and traced it on an 8 foot white board panel.
My husband used a jigsaw to cut the pieces out. Time to prime and paint and paint and paint. After painting all of the pieces, I hand painted the design according to the internet-inspiration photo.

To create the art gallery of portraits during the "first time in Forever" song, I found most of the images on Pinterest. First I gathered an assortment of frames and laid them all out on the floor to figure out how to arrange them. Once I got the arrangement figured out, then I had to figure out which photo would go in which frame.

I printed out each photo (in black and white on the regular printer) just so I could move them around to figure out the arrangement. I was so fortunate to find the big gold frames at Goodwill for only $4 each! They were actually framed mirrors, but that was easily fixed. I took a screw driver to the back of them and knocked those mirrors out. There isn't glass on those frames, but they still look great to me- like the original paintings!
 Both of the girls have a shelf above their bed. Under the shelf, I attached a little tap-light which is perfect for night-book-time.
See it under there?
Her canopy was made from a window panel set from Walmart. I had to cut, re-sew and sew on velcro to it to make it work. It's attached to the underside of the boards with velcro. 



Yes, I was prepared. I stocked up on all things "frozen" during November and December while planning this room. Some of it was even purchased before the movie was in theaters. We just knew this movie was going to be THE movie and it IS. We are Frozen-Crazy!

After all that, we did end up having a small Frozen Birthday party.

Labels:

My Secret Vanilla Life: Disney's Frozen Inspired Bedroom

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Disney's Frozen Inspired Bedroom



Instead of the usual over-the-top birthday party this year, the twins opted for a Frozen themed bedroom with decorations they can enjoy for more than just one day. This was no easy feat, but after a few weeks and a lot of work, I think it came together very nicely. They love it!




Here's "Elsa's" Frozen side:

  
 
 She keeps her Elsa necklace on her clock so that she can put it on first thing in the morning. She wears it everyday.
Here's how I created Elsa's Frozen side of the room:

Elsa's headboard and footboard were made from crackled plastic panels, usual used for fluorescent lighting ceiling panels. For the headboard, I cut out a mountain shape from the plastic. Then I hammered a bunch of nails for the outline and left them sticking out about an inch and half from the wall. I glued little magnets to the back of the plastic to stick to the nails and then it held itself against the wall.
The footboard was attached with magnets as well, since nailing it would have cracked the plastic. I dind't want to glue it and ruin the furniture. After that was installed, I sprayed some swirly spirals with the window-spray-snow-in-a-can stuff. I also hung two clear\iridescent plastic snowflakes and one white snowflake underneath the shelf above the bed. The canopy is a cheapo white mosquito bed net . I added blue and silver ribbon glitter mesh.

The picture frames on the wall were plastic shadow box frames from the craft store. I painted mod-podge on them and sprinkled on Epsom salt to give them an icy-frosted look. Here's a tip: DON'T (accidentally) BUY THE SCENTED EPSOM SALT! (Unless you want it to smell like an Abercrombie & Fitch store - you know, that smelly store you walk past in the mall that gives you a migraine from the stench. Holy cow, that was a lesson learned.) Get regular, unscented.

The mural was just a fun, free-hand painting. I just love painting big swirls and "going with it", wherever the brush leads me. After I was happy with the swirls and colors, I added glittery snowflake wall decals.
The snowflakes hanging from the ceiling are just a cheap, simple decoration from the party store, taped to the ceiling. Super simple.



Now, here's "Anna's Royal side:

 
 

Here's how I did it:

I attached several, taped together, large poster prints to the window shade making the image of "Arrendale", as seen from the castle window. On the lower shelf of the is a tissue holder - half frozen and half "be-jeweled". The girls helped decorate it with jewels, sprinkling glitter and adding more Epsom salt.

 
To create "Anna's" bed I started with this image from the internet -  That, I don't own and don't claim to, but you can Google it, too.




 I started by drawing a rough outline on a giant roll of brown paper (the stuff used for keeping the floors clean in new homes. It comes in giant rolls at Home Depot. It's great for tons of uses.) Then, when I was happy with that, I cut it out and traced it on an 8 foot white board panel.
My husband used a jigsaw to cut the pieces out. Time to prime and paint and paint and paint. After painting all of the pieces, I hand painted the design according to the internet-inspiration photo.

To create the art gallery of portraits during the "first time in Forever" song, I found most of the images on Pinterest. First I gathered an assortment of frames and laid them all out on the floor to figure out how to arrange them. Once I got the arrangement figured out, then I had to figure out which photo would go in which frame.

I printed out each photo (in black and white on the regular printer) just so I could move them around to figure out the arrangement. I was so fortunate to find the big gold frames at Goodwill for only $4 each! They were actually framed mirrors, but that was easily fixed. I took a screw driver to the back of them and knocked those mirrors out. There isn't glass on those frames, but they still look great to me- like the original paintings!
 Both of the girls have a shelf above their bed. Under the shelf, I attached a little tap-light which is perfect for night-book-time.
See it under there?
Her canopy was made from a window panel set from Walmart. I had to cut, re-sew and sew on velcro to it to make it work. It's attached to the underside of the boards with velcro. 



Yes, I was prepared. I stocked up on all things "frozen" during November and December while planning this room. Some of it was even purchased before the movie was in theaters. We just knew this movie was going to be THE movie and it IS. We are Frozen-Crazy!

After all that, we did end up having a small Frozen Birthday party.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At March 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Monica said...

You did a fantastic job! Lots of creativity and hard work went into it and it totally shows. My daughters love it! I'm getting an itch to re-decorate their room and I found your site through google. Awesome job!

 
At March 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM , Blogger My Secret Vanilla Life said...

Thank you so much for the sweet compliment! It was a lot of work but, totally worth it.

 
At March 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome ideas! thanks for sharing!

 
At May 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get the bedding/comforter for the frozen side?

 
At June 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful x

 
At June 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Shannon Sowder said...

Can you tell me what your budget was? My daughter is Frozen crazy, as well. She wants her entire room like the Elsa side. Thanks!!! It's gorgeous!

 
At June 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM , Blogger My Secret Vanilla Life said...

I got it at Walmart!

 
At June 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM , Blogger My Secret Vanilla Life said...

For the entire room? Less than $350 and that's with me doing the custom painting myself!

 
At July 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Ashley P said...

This is totally awesome! I'm working on making a themed Frozen room for my daughter currently!

 
At July 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Kim said...

You did an awesome job! Any chance you can share a link to the comforter set for the frozen side? I tried searching the Walmart website but did not have any luck. Thanks!!!

 
At July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM , Blogger My Secret Vanilla Life said...

Here is the link to the comforter I bought for Elsa's side.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Zone-Mink-Mum-Bedding-Comforter-Set/19599301

It looks different in the picture. but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

 
At July 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I am so impressed. I am sitting here with my 4 year old daughter and she is so excited about this room. Thank you for sharing we are going to try our best to copy some of it I am not as talented as you but I will give it a try:)

 
At August 13, 2014 at 6:08 PM , Blogger My Secret Vanilla Life said...

Thanks so much! Let me know how it goes! :)

 
At August 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM , Blogger Laura Taylor said...

Beautiful room! Fox Chapel Publishing (www.foxchapelpublishing.com) is publishing a book on crafts inspired by the movie Frozen. We'd love to include your room photos in the inspiration gallery of the book. Please contact me at taylor@foxchapelpublishing.com if you're interested. This book will be printed very soon, so if you could respond very soon, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

 
At October 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome room for the girls! with love from malaysia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home